Monday, December 16, 2013

He is gone

The last week went by in a blur, even faster than the A Levels week. As depressing as recounting the events might be, I have to write it down...for memory's sake? And also maybe because those who read my blog regularly deserve to know what happened.

I woke up at 7am plus, hoping to go for a morning jog. I rolled around in bed for about half an hour and finally walked out into the living room at about 7.30am to find my dad sitting in front of the TV. The TV was turned on and so were the lights and the fan. He appeared to have dozed off while watching TV. He sat upright, with his hands resting on his thighs and head slightly tilted to the side. I turned the TV and lights off so that he can sleep soundly and went back inside the room to prepare for my morning jog. My mom got up slightly after that and at about 8am, walked out to the  living room and asked my dad what he wanted for breakfast. Yes, we are all early-risers.

When she realised he wasn't responding, she tried to wake him up for breakfast and that's when she realised that he had become oddly cold and stiff. She called out to me once saying that something was wrong with my father and at first I thought it was just a joke. When she called out to me a second time, I sensed the urgency in her voice and sprinted out to the living room. I touched my father's forehead and face and found it to be very cold and lifeless. We tried to lay him down on the sofa - it was almost like trying to shift a statue. He was almost frozen into the position. After that we covered him with blankets and I heated some water. I dipped a handkerchief in the hot water and wiped it over his body, hoping to bring his temperature up.

We called the ambulance and the paramedics announced on the spot that he had passed away, probably a long time ago. Needless to say, my mom and I started bawling. Family friends started pouring in. Very thankful for their presence, my mom and I would have gone crazy if we were left alone. Also very thankful to Singapore Casket for being so hospitable and cooperative and arranging for my dad's cremation on the day itself.

He was cremated at 5.20pm on 10 Dec 2013. :( It was scary and sad to watch his coffin go into the furnace. Definitely not something I want to see again anytime soon. Also thanks to Zhiqi, her dad and her uncle for their help <3 p="">
One of my aunties (Aunty Lim) from my religious group actually accompanied me to Singapore Casket to make the payment for my dad's burial and then she accompanied me and my mom and our family friends all the way to Mandai Crematorium for the cremation and we were also joined by Aunty Lilian from my religious group. I am truly grateful for their support despite the fact that I have been inactive for religious meetings and stuff for the last few months. :')

My poor mom and I had to retell the "story" of what happened in the morning to so many people, it was really tiring and sad. My mom cried buckets of water :(

This was just a really short and quick description of that day. R.I.P papa. At least it wasn't a long, torturous and painful death. It was short and quick. Treasure your life and always make healthy choices in life. Don't smoke, don't drink excessively, exercise regularly and stay fit, sleep well, don't overwork yourself and maintain a good relationship with God. :)

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Signing off, Jaslin





No comments: