Saturday, September 6, 2014

Trials, Tribulations and Tests

After such a long break from blogging (no time yo), I don't even know where to start. Okay, as promised in my previous post, my transformation picture:
Last year vs This Year
Soon after my previous post was written, I found out that my mom has a tumor. My mom had actually gone for a blood test in January at a clinic just as a routine checkup. After my dad passed away, she decided to be more careful. And it was probably the best choice she ever made. The blood test revealed that my mom had really high platelets count. As such, she was referred to Singapore General Hospital. Over there, we found out that the reason for her high platelets was actually a tumor. It was called a Gastro-intestinal Stromal tumour (GIST), which is cancerous most of the time. However, they did not inform us that it was cancerous as they wanted to do a biopsy on it. 

But first, we had to remove it via surgery. May and June were two really tough months. My mom kept worrying that she might die because of the surgery while I, being more practical, kept thinking about what's going to happen AFTER the surgery, if it turns out to be cancerous. Aunty Lay Leng, Mabel, my aunt who had flown in from Bangladesh the night before the surgery, and another uncle followed my mom and I to the hospital on the day of the surgery. 

It was a nerve-wracking 2 hours during which the doctors were taking out a football-sized tumour from my mom's stomach. I am not kidding, I have a medical report and a photo which the doctors took and sent me to prove it. Shall not post it here because one may vomit. So glad that my soul sister Mabel was there when I was bawling my eyes out in the washroom. After she made it through the surgery, my aunt and I had to sleep over at the hospital some nights (on sofas or four chairs put together) to give my mom some moral support and also because you can't count on the nurses to give the patients 24 hr service. 

After the biopsy, we found out that it is cancer and then had to wait for a nerve-wrecking week before we found out what stage it is at. Thankfully, thank God, it wasn't at a very bad stage due to its localized nature. So now she is on medication and will be on it for the next 2 years at least to ensure that the cancerous tumor doesn't grow again. She is okay now, no hair dropping, no weaknesses or other symptoms. I just never thought any of my family members would be affected by Cancer. :( I cried so bad when I watched The Fault In Our Stars because I could relate in a way.

****
Now to less bleak topics. It's already semester two in school. Time flies so fast. I must admit I wasn't really in the mood to study for my Sem 1 exams due to mom and also because I was having a friendship problem at that time. I get affected by things easily. But luckily I did not too bad. Time to buck up this semester. Ok time to meet my gang in school:
From left to right: Teeq, Pavi, Sora, me
 One of them, Mag isn't in this picture, I'll upload a pic of us later. :)                            
***

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just be strong and may god bless you and your family. Ashvin.