Saturday, March 2, 2013

A LEVEL MOTHER TONGUE RESULTS RELEASE, GUITAR CIP CONCERT, SMU OPEN HOUSE

A Level Mother Tongue Results Release:

Friday morning was nerve-wrecking. How can you relax knowing that something is going to happen to you that may either make or break you? I know results aren't everything. Universities don't even consider mother tongue. Unless of course, you want to take that language in Uni. So "Why the fuss?" you may ask. Well, my mother tongue school is all the way at Redhill. If I failed, I would have to continue going there for the rest of the year. Lessons start at 9am and end at 1pm. Takes about 1 hour to return home. That's half of my Saturdays gone and in J2, every day counts. So I am sure that me failing would be very disruptive to my studies. 

It's as if an ominous bank of dark clouds were hanging above my head. I felt like I would pass (simply 'cause I've never failed any major MT exams like PSLE and O Levels) but I didn't know how well I would do. I was expecting maybe an E or D if I was lucky because I heard that the examiners mark strictly. At 2.30pm, we were all seated at LT5, watching our seniors getting their results via live streaming. 7 people got 4 distinctions and 57 of them got 3 distinctions. (If I recall correctly) It was a drop from last year though 

And then they flashed OUR MT statistics. For Bengali it said "50% pass". Immediately my heart plummeted to the ground. Only 2 of us had taken the examination so...one of us must have passed and the other one failed. Immediately I realized that I must have failed. I studied for the exam more than I studied for my O levels so how could I fail?! I was hyperventilating in my head already and preparing my speech to my mom about how sorry I am and how I will work harder and so on and so forth. 

And then we went to a classroom and Mr Kok gave out our certificates. I took mine and sat down without looking at it. I wondered why did Mr Kok smile at me when I failed. I deserve to be shouted at, slapped even. Feelings of self-doubt and misery were running through my veins. I had already told Xiao Tian, Shamira and Mazi that I probably failed. Oh and Hansel too. After a while I decided to peek at my certificate to see how badly I failed. And to my horror/delight...I was the one who passed. -.-
Hahahah. I shed a few tears though...tears of relief. I got a B. So my effort DID pay off. I had given up hope of improving my MT but my mom hadn't. She kept pestering me before the exam to study. "Maybe you can do well, you never know right?" she would say something along that line. Mom's are always right it seems. 

This was a major hurdle I never thought I'd survive. And to those people who got an A for their MT, they wouldn't understand why I am so overjoyed/relieved. I texted my MT teacher, thanking her for everything and she said she is really happy for me. :) Maybe I will go back after the As with a gift to show my appreciation. She really was the best MT teacher my batch ever had! And congratulations to Reetz, you obviously got an A. :D

Guitar CIP concert:
On the same day itself, I attended the guitar CIP concert with Mazi, Zhiqi, Shamira and Judy and her friend to support Jessica and Jasmine. And as an ex guitar ensemble member, of course I had to go. Although at first when Daphne asked me if I wanted to go I was hesitant but that's because I was unsure if I would be free on that day. 

The concert was awesome. I particularly liked the non-classical pieces because I am a non-classical sort of person xD I loved the performance of "Sunday morning" by Amalina, "Nobody" by the entire guitar ensem, "Pumped up Kicks" and " Airplanes" by the Fedoras. OH and Gideon and Diyanah's version of "Make you feel my love". Awesome stuff! Leaving the best for the last, I loved everything with Jessica in it. HAHHAA. 

SMU OPEN HOUSE:
Boy, do I have a lot to say about this! Woke up at 7am to travel to SMU, which is at the heart of Bras Besah. Didn't really know what to expect because I haven't been there before. Upon getting down from the MRT, I realised that the campus was directly connected to the MRT. For those of you who have been to SIngapore Poly, you know how you have to walk a certain distance from the MRT before you enter the poly? The distance from the MRT to SMU was even shorter. It's like...a few steps. Mind blown. Seriosuly mind blown! I was expecting to take a bus ride or something.

Mabel arrived and then we met up and walked to the Admin building. There were gold and blue balloons everywhere! It was quite the welcome! :) We started off by going for the campus tour. I only remember the guy Ambassador's name. Ashwin I think. Not being sexist ah. I think the girl Ambassador said her name too softly or something. I didn't catch it. I think both were business students and Ashwin's CCA was horse riding  Can you believe it?! HORSE RIDING?! COOL or what?

There was some Muay Thai competition going on at SMU. So I guess that's another unique CCA they have. We were given a tour of the business school, the library, the Campus Green, and even got to sit in the seminar room! :) I personally liked the seminar room a lot because it was shaped like a horse shoe, so everyone got a good view of the lecturer. The room was also really technologically savvy. 
After the campus tour, Mabel and I went for separate talks. She went for the talk on "Accountancy" while I went for the talk by the "Social Sciences" department. Personally, social sciences was not really my thing so I got bored during the talk. OOPS :X 
By the way, I forgot to say that Mabel's OGL actually ended up in our campus tour group! :D How cool is that? Her name was Crystal. Crystal and I went for the Social Sciences talk together. 

Next, Mabel and I went for the "School of business" talk together, which was more my cup of tea because "Corporate Communications" is under it. Very coincidentally, the lecturer chosen to represent the School of Business for the talk was the lecturer for Corporate Communications!! Good for me right? :D I was impressed by him. He seems like a really good lecturer. They also let an alumni and a soon-to-be alumni tell us about their experiences in the workforce and/or in SMU. One cool thing was that they promised that by 2015, 100% of SMU students would get the opportunity to go for an overseas Business Mission or CIP trip or both. The Alumni had been to Massachusetts and the Philippines. The soon-to-be alumni had been to Milan (omfg) and Shanghai. Sounds really good to me! 

After the talks, Mabel and I had a lot to think about. Despite the distance, I would say that the Open House has made me consider SMU rather strongly. Before that I was all about NUS. But I can't speak too soon...maybe the NTU or NUS open house will blow me away too? 

Came home at about 5pm and haven't done any work since...and now I am too tired to do so. Shall go to bed and wake up early tomorrow to do work. Nights world. :) 

No comments: